Thursday, October 07, 2010

Smiling Jacks, Stirling

It's not very often that the Buddha gets invited to a corporate night out. The event was a celebration of a young start up company (nn4m.com) and it was held within Stirling's mexican restaurant Smiling Jacks.

I have to say that mexican food is not my first choice when dinning out. In fact, I would state that I would rather graze in broken bottles than go to a mexican restaurant. However, in the spirit of a celebration and good company I thought why not. I'm glad I did too.

When we first arrived at Smiling Jacks I was struck by the tiny size of the restaurant. I have to say that it is a bit cosy to say the least, but has a warm and friendly atmosphere. We were seated intimately at our table. The Buddha enquired as to how many people Smiling Jacks could seat the waiter stated confidently 50. He must have been a miracle worker as I could not see it. Double decker seating arrangements never heard of that before. But, hey how, you know the young they can work the magic.

Well, the chef at Smiling Jacks certainly can work the magic. We were presented with what can only be described as a fantastic array of mexican culinary delights. The hosts had ordered a buffet selection of mexican dishes including nachos, bucket of bones, fajitas, burritos, enchiladas and tacos. The vegetarian and meat (chicken and beef) dishes were seasoned to perfection with a variety of beans, herbs and spices including chilli, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, chipotle, garlic, onions and peppers. I would love to get the recipes for guacamole and salsa as they were just divine. The food was well washed down with numerous cerveza's (Corona, Sol, Dos Equis), whilst the ladies were delighted with the frozen margaritas.

To say that the food was mouthwateringly delicious would be an understatement. We all ate far to much and to say our Buddha Belly's were full would be an understatement. I had a sneeky wee peek at the bill and it was not cheap, but it was worth it. If Smiling Jacks is anything to go by then the Buddha is converted to mexican food and he will not hesitate to return.

Great food, plus great drink, plus great company, equals a great night out.

Food-8/10
Drink-8/10
Service-8/10
Environment-7/10

Contact Details:
Smiling Jacks
17 Barnton St
Stirling
Stirlingshire
FK8 1HF

No comments: